Irani Chai Recipe
If you are thinking what is so special about a cup of tea, the answer is a lot. The Irani chai or Irani tea is a cultural offering to our country. It started its Indian journey from Mumbai and, to date, is relished in Irani cafes across the city. But we will save you the effort of travelling, and show you how to make Irani chai at home.
The Irani chai is not your traditional tea. It entails a different process and a few additional ingredients.
Our Irani chai recipe is easy to follow and takes little time to execute. All you will need is some basic tea ingredients like sugar, tea powder and water, along with Nestlé MILKMAID and Nestlé a+ Toned Milk for a richer, creamier flavour.
Once ready, enjoy the amazing old-world charm and unique ambience of Irani cafes, poured into a cup of amazing Irani chai.
- Servings - 6
- Preparation - 5 Min
- Cooking - 40 Min
Ingredients for Irani Chai
- ½ tin Nestlé MILKMAID
- 500 ml Nestlé a+ Toned Milk
- 2 tbsp Tea Powder
- 2 cups Water
- 2 nos Cardamom Pod
- 2 tsp Sugar
How to make Irani Chai
- Step 1: Add water and tea powder in a saucepan. Cover with a lid and seal the saucepan with chapati dough. Let the tea boil for about 20-25 minutes. Then strain the tea decoction in a bowl.
- Step 2: In another saucepan, add milk & cardamom pods, and bring to a boil. Simmer & let it become thicker. Keep stirring in between. Now add Nestlé MILKMAID and boil for a few more minutes.
- Step 3: To assemble the Irani Chai, pour the tea decoction upto 1/4th of the cup. Then top it up with the milk mixture. Mix, and your Irani Chai is ready!
You can even give your Irani chai a twist:
- For Chocolate Irani Chai - Mix 1 tbsp of Melted Chocolate in the prepared glass of Irani Chai, and your delicious Chocolate Irani Chai is ready!
- For Caramel Irani Chai - Mix 1 tbsp of Caramel sauce in the prepared glass of Irani Chai, and your unique Caramel Irani Chai is ready!
- For Honey Lemon Irani Chai - Mix 1 tsp of Honey and 1/2 tsp of Lemon Juice in the prepared glass of Irani Chai, and your healthy Honey Lemon Irani Chai is ready!
FAQs on Irani Chai
1. How to serve Irani Chai
The Irani tea is usually served in a small glass cup along with a slice of Irani bread or a biscuit.
2. Why is Irani chai served in small glasses?
Irani chai is traditionally served in small glasses because it is thicker and stronger, and is meant to be sipped slowly.
3. What are some popular snacks to enjoy with Irani chai?
Some popular snacks to enjoy with Irani chai include biscuits, samosas, and pakoras.
4. Can Irani chai be made with any type of tea leaves?
Yes, Irani chai can be made with any type of black tea leaves, but the flavour may differ slightly. The Irani chai recipe mentioned above will guide you through the making process for a better understanding.
5. How is Irani tea different from other types of tea?
Irani tea is more rich and creamy, unlike other milk teas. Try our Irani tea recipe to experience the taste.