Trifle Pudding Recipe
Trifle is a derivative of the French word trufle. It means something that is whimsical or trivial. While the word may mean that, the dessert we are going to tell you about is anything but trivial! There are many versions of the trifle pudding but the difference is that the original version was made with a dried cake.
Puddings, in the olden days, were a way to use up leftover ingredients. The trifle was a way to use up stale cake. The trifle of England is almost related to the Italian Zuppa Ingles as well as the Spanish Bizcocho Borracho. The idea of a trifle pudding was that it should be something that is easy to assemble, serve, and eat.
The layers of the trifle depend on the kind of recipe that you follow. However, the usual way to layer the trifle is from the bottom to the top. The cake, followed by custard and then the fruit. These layers must be repeated till you reach the top. When done, the layers are topped with a generous dose of whipped cream and a crunchy topping like nuts or even crushed cookies! You can even add in a layer of some syrup for that extra edge.
This layer-by-layer dessert of perfection carries the goodness of fresh fruits, whipped cream, and fruit cake. The things you will need to make a trifle pudding are Nestlé MILKMAID, Nestlé a+ Nourish Milk, strawberry jelly, sponge cake or a fruit cake, fresh cream, and seasonal fruits (chopped).
Triffle Pudding is a great dessert recipe to try and relish with your loved ones this Ramadan. Do give it a try!
- Servings - 10
- Preparation - 35 Min
- Chilling - 1 Hour Min
Ingredients for Trifle Pudding
- 1/2 tin Nestlé MILKMAID
- 1 cup Nestlé a+ Toned Milk
- 1 pack Strawberry Jelly
- 1/2 kg Sponge Cake (or any Fruit Cake)
- 1 cup Fresh Cream
- 3 cups Chopped Seasonal Fruits
How to make Trifle Pudding
- Step 1: Prepare jelly as per instructions on the pack and leave it to set. Cut the sponge cake into small pieces and place it at the bottom of a glass.
- Step 2: Mix together Nestlé MILKMAID and milk in a bowl. Pour this mixture over the sponge cake pieces and add chopped fruits.
- Step 3: Whip up the fresh cream. Cut the set jelly into cubes and put on fruits. Top it up with whipped cream and serve chilled.
Tips to Make Trifle Pudding
- The jelly must be prepared as per the instructions in the pack and the sponge cake should be cut into small pieces to be placed at the bottom of the cake.
- Make sure the cake, fruits, and cream are fresh so that the trifle pudding also turns out fresh.
FAQs on Trifle Pudding
1. Can I make the trifle pudding one day before serving it?
Yes! The fact is that allowing the trifle pudding to rest overnight allows it to taste even better since the flavors blend together. However, the cream should be added only before you are ready to serve it.
2. How long can I store the trifle pudding?
The trifle can be covered tightly with a plastic or beeswax wrap and placed in the fridge. It can last for about 2 to 3 days.
3. How can I prevent the trifle from becoming soggy?
The trifle will not be soggy until after 2 to 3 days, also provided you do not add the whipped cream while it is refrigerated.