This traditional favourite fried pastry with an aromatic nutty filling and peculiar rolled up edges is simply enough to get you thinking about Holi. If you're like us and want to have this lovely dessert more than once a year, go ahead and try out this simple recipe today.
- Servings - 8
- Preparation - 25 Min
- Cooking - 30 Min
Ingredients for Gujiya
- 125 gms Maida (All Purpose Flour)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 4 tbsp (20 ml) Oil
- 1/2 tin Nestlé MILKMAID
- 1/2 cup Suji
- 1/4 tsp Elaichi (Cardamom) Powder
- 2 tbsp Kishmish (Raisins)
- 2 tbsp Kaju (Cashewnuts)
- 2 tbsp Chopped Badam (Almonds)
- 150 gms Fresh Grated Coconut
How to make Gujiya
- To make the filling, roast semolina on low flame till it changes colour. Mix in Nestlé MILKMAID, elaichi pwder, raisins, cashewnuts, almonds and grated coconut. Cook on medium / low flame, stirring occasionally, till the mixture is dry. Divide into 16 portions.
- To prepare the dough, pour oil into maida. Add water and make into stiff dough. Knead the dough till pliable. Keep aside covered for 10-15 minutes. Knead dough once again. Divide into 16 balls.
- Roll each ball into a flat round. Place one portion of the filling, fold over and shape into gujiya sealing the edges with little water. Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown.
- To seal use gujiya moulds or press with ends of a fork or simply twist with hand.