Amrakhand, also known as Mango Shrikhand, is a popular dessert that originated in the western Indian state of Gujarat. It has a sweet and tangy taste, with a smooth and creamy texture. Adding saffron and cardamom give it a distinctive aroma and flavour, while the sugar balances the sourness of the yoghurt (if you use Nestlé MILKMAID, you need not add sugar as it is sweetened condensed milk).
The dessert is commonly savoured during the summer months when mangoes are in season. The exact time of the year may vary depending on the region, but generally, the mango season in India begins in late March or early April and lasts until the end of June or early July. Fresh mangoes are widely available during this time, and people enjoy them in various forms, including as a topping on Amrakhand.
However, you can enjoy this delicious dessert throughout the year, as it can be made using canned or frozen mango pulp.
If you're looking for an easy Amrakhand recipe, the dessert is made by straining plain yoghurt, also known as curd, and then mixing it with Nestlé MILKMAID and pureed mangoes. Some variations of the Amrakhand recipe also include chopped nuts, such as almonds or pistachios.
Once you have prepared Amrakhand, it needs to be chilled before serving to allow the flavours to meld together.
In Indian cuisine, Mango Shrikhand is typically served as a dessert or a side dish with meals. It is often paired with puri, a fried Indian bread, to create a popular dish called Shrikhand Puri. Sometimes it is also used as a filling for pastries and other desserts.
You can easily prepare Mango Shrikhand recipe with Nestlé MILKMAID in just a few minutes.
- Servings - 6
- Preparation - 30 Min
- Chilling - 30 Min Min
Ingredients for Amrakhand
- 1/2 tin Nestlé MILKMAID
- 600 gms Nestlé a+ Nourish Dahi (Curd)
- 2 Mangoes (Pureed)
How to make Amrakhand
- Step 1: Put curd in a muslin cloth and hang for 1 hour or keep in a strainer with fine mesh. Now whisk well till smooth to remove any lumps.
- Step 2: Mix the hung curd with Nestlé MILKMAID and pureed mangoes.
- Step 3: Chill for 30 minutes and serve.
Tips to make Amrakhand
- Use fresh and high-quality ingredients to make the best Amrakhand.
- Once the Amrakhand is prepared, chill it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will make it even more refreshing and enjoyable.
- You can add saffron, cardamom, or rose water to the Amrakhand for added flavour.
FAQs on Amrakhand
1. How long does it take to prepare Amrakhand?
The preparation time for Amrakhand is usually around 30 minutes. And then, you will need to chill the dessert for 30 minutes before serving, so it's best to prepare it in advance.
2. How do I fix lumpy Amrakhand?
If your Amrakhand is lumpy, you can again try whisking it vigorously. You may strain it through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the lumps if this doesn't work.
3. How long can I keep Mango Shrikhand in the fridge?
Mango Shrikhand can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to cover it with a lid or plastic wrap, preventing it from drying out.