Mahalabia is a popular Middle Eastern dessert known as muhallabia or mahalabiya.
It is a creamy, milk-based dessert typically flavoured with rosewater, orange blossom water, or vanilla, thickened with rice flour. Its smooth, silky texture and subtle, delicate flavour make it a popular choice for dessert lovers. Mahalabia is also commonly served during special occasions such as Ramadan and Eid al-Fitr.
We have a simple recipe that will guide you on how to make Mahalabia at home. Our Mahalabia recipe is easy to follow and needs a few ingredients like Nestlé MILKMAID, milk, rice flour and vanilla essence. Just follow the Mahalabia recipe steps to enjoy a rich, creamy dessert with your loved ones.
The dessert is typically served chilled and garnished with various toppings such as chopped nuts, dried fruits, and honey.
- Servings - 6
- Preparation - 5 Min
- Cooking - 10 Min
Ingredients for Mahalabia
- ½ tin Nestlé MILKMAID
- 6 cups Milk
- ½ cup Rice flour
- ½ tsp Vanilla essence
- 3-4 tbsp Finely chopped nuts (Almonds, Pistachio)
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds
How to make Mahalabia
- Step 1 Mix rice flour with 1 cup of milk, until the mixture is smooth. Add vanilla essence and keep aside.
- Step 2 Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan and simmer. While stirring constantly, add the rice-milk mixture. Heat it on a low flame and add Nestlé MILKMAID. Mix well.
- Step 3 Cook till the mixture starts to thicken.
- Step 4 Once the mixture thickens, pour it in individual serving bowls and refrigerate overnight.
- Step 5 While serving, garnish with nuts and seeds. Serve cool.
Serving suggestion: You can add rose jam also for garnishing.
FAQs on Mahalabia
1. Is Mahalabia gluten-free?
Our Mahalabia recipe, is as the ingredients include rice flour instead of cornstarch as a thickening agent.
2. Can Mahalabia be made ahead of time?
Yes, Mahalabia can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge to relish later.
3. How long does Mahalabia last in the fridge?
Mahalabia can last for up to 3-4 days in the fridge, if stored in an airtight container.
4. What are some common garnishes for Mahalabia?
Common garnishes for Mahalabia include chopped nuts such as pistachios or almonds, dried fruits such as dates or raisins, and a drizzle of honey.
5. Can Mahalabia be served warm?
Mahalabia is typically served chilled, but it can also be served warm.